Posts Tagged ‘whitepaper’

Skills-based immigration system proposed in government White Paper

In government, workers on December 20, 2018 at 1:31 pm


The Government has released a white paper containing proposals to reduce the number of unskilled low-income workers from EU. However, the cap on the number of skilled workers from the EU and elsewhere will be scrapped.

The new system is to be phased in from 2021.

The White paper, which sets out proposed legislation before it is formalised in a government bill, features the following key points:

  • The end of free movement after the UK leaves the EU.
  • A skills-based single immigration system rather than preference for EU nationals.
  • Time limited short-term workers route: Seasonal/Low skilled/unskilled workers will be able to enter the UK on a 12-month visa. They will not be entitled to benefits, will not accrue settlement rights and cannot bring dependants. The government sees this as a way to source workers for areas such as construction, agriculture and social care which rely heavily on EU labour.
  • Restrictions on the number of ‘Tier 2’ visas for skilled workers such as doctors and engineers are to be lifted.
  • There will be a consultation on the proposal for a minimum salary requirement of £30,000 for skilled migrants applying for five-year visas. This has met with resistance from the NHS where many starting salaries come under the £30,000 wage cap.
  • Measures to streamline border security checks and application processes.
  • No limits on international students studying in the UK.

Home Secretary Sajid Javid described the White Paper as, “a fair and sustainable immigration system” which “will boost our economy and benefit the British people.”

However, Karendeep Kaur, immigration analyst at Migrate UK, expressed concern over the possibility of a no-deal Brexit. Urging businesses to take action to safeguard their talent and protect against skills shortages, she advised employers to identify employees’ current status and support them to acquire a registration certificate or permanent residency where appropriate.